Grenson Shoes was started by just one man, William Green. Following the death of his father William moved to Rushden in Northamptonshire where his mother taught him his trade in shoemaking. He helped her to produce mens boots at home until 1866. It was at the same time William Green & Son was formalized and it was not long before his mens shoes and boots became famous for their quality, craftsmanship and durability.
The company attracted some of the finest shoe craftsmen in the business and the first factory to be opened in 1874. The "Greens Yard" factory was the first factory in the world to use the Goodyear welt construction method for manufacturing gentlemen's shoes. "Green & Son" soon became Grenson, a powerful brand which still dominates the shoe industry today.